Sunday, October 30, 2011

4th African Fashion Fair - The Gala Cocktail show

This was the cocktail gala evening of the fair which started on Thursday 27th of October.
I did enjoy the show; was a good break from my busy school life- more like a breath of fresh air. Iddi Achieng provided entertainment with some Luo benga tunes.
What I wore:


For this event, I thought I would try something abit out of the norm for me. I wore a white shirt which was my high-school shirt that I found when cleaning my wardrobe and a plaid skirt, which I had altered. It was really long when I bought it (ankle height), and guess how much? 30ksh from toi market, but with a little imagination and renovation, this is the skirt I ended up with. I used a ribbon and improvised it to make a thin tie. The jacket, is from the U.S (courtesy of my dad), the clutch, a gift from my mum; the ring bought it at FAB (Fashion and Beauty expo) for 1200/-; shoes from Nairobi Stalls at 3000/-; socks were 100/- from toi market; geeks from my sister. Fashion styling and looking good is all about mix and matching, and knowing how to make drab (the skirt) look fab. :)

Any-who, onto the main agenda. Got to see some wonderful pieces both from student designers
as well as upcoming designers. There is truly great talent in this country. First to show case was the avant-garde student category. 10 out of 20 plus students were selected and challenged to create an avant-garde, out of this world look. This is what the students from various design schools had to offer.



















Next on the catwalk were the upcoming designers. In this section we had designers such Larry Onyango, Anne Sofie of Achera Designs, among others.



Senegals Sebastian Bazemo show cased a dazzling blue-satin with, a touch of African, evening collection. It was one of my favorites of the evening. Unfortunately, my camera died quarter way into the show. That was a real low, but hey the show still went on.
Rialto also showcased a collection that (from where I was seated) seemed kikoy inspired. Bold horizontal lines with a touch of silver graced the runway.

The evening was crowned by the announcing of the avant-garde winners. Here are the winning pieces;

All in all, it was a great show and a great evening as well. Looking forward to next year. Who knows, I might be showcasing one of my own pieces :)

2 comments:

  1. hey I wanted to get in touch to ask you about my design.hope you got to be a fashion designer.i made the 7th outfit on the students category

    ReplyDelete