Friday, April 1, 2011

Turkel

…the turkel fashion show (A.K.A- The Fashionist/ International Fashion Fair) went down 3weeks ago (ma net is such a letdown…this post was supposed to have been up three weeks ago…) at the KICC (Kenyatta International Conference Center), from the 17th-20th march. I had really anticipated this event, however due to numerous loads of last minute assignments (I have been a bit on the low so my psyche for doing anything is just on a downhill), I was only able to attend the fair on the last day, which was on a Sunday. I missed the fashion shows *sob sob*, but recently I’ve been learning about doing important things vs. urgent things n ma assignments were important. Any who, more of that for another blog.


Walking into the KICC building, I found myself welcomed with stalls all around me. I thought to myself, “this is really cool (with a big grin), however as I slowly took a first round stroll around the place, I was more of disappointed because all the exhibitors except two were all from turkey!!!!!! I really hoped to see more Kenyan manufactured stuff, and mind you ORIGINAL DESIGNED STUFF. Ugh, that was a blow in the face. Real hard one. I must admit though, I saw exquisite pieces by one Muzaffer that I would DEFINATLEY buy (when I’m all ballin’ u know). The finishing, colour, detailing, fabric, texture…; everything that a designer would want to see in a garment could be found in these pieces; *sigh* a designer’s haven. I really admired the craftsmanship that went into the garments I saw; FIRST CLASS, which is something that is so prominently lacking in our industry.

So my main purpose for visiting the fair was scouting either new talent and/or existing top class, Kenyan fashion brands.

My first ever designer profile (whoop whoop!)
LIZ OGUMBO.


Name: Liz Ogumbo
Name of label: House of Imani
Location: S.A
Website: www.imanihseofashion.com
This was a very interesting interview I must say. It was actually more of a chit chat. Very informal, and unplanned for; I dint have my camera, let alone a note pad to write on. My ‘sister’ (Bijoux) actually convinced me to go for it. I’ve never done an interview before, let alone with a renowned anybody, but ignoring all the red alert alarms in my head, I said what the heck, there’s a first time for everything. So this is how it went down.

As I waited for her to finish with some prospective clients, a sense of surety, and exuberating confidence, surrounded the exhibition stall she was seated. Her face and her character come across as ‘I means business; no time for hullabaloo and small talk that won’t benefit neither parties.
“… Of course I designed them, why else would I be called a designer?” she responds to a group of young lady clients, who seem curious as to whether she designs her clothes from scratch. I found that rather funny because it’s the same questions I get asked quiet often after my shows. It’s as if a Kenyan cannot have a creative mind. Pfft!
Warming up with an intro chat between Liz, Bijoux, and myself, Liz is quite receptive and warm to new people and is fascinated that Bijoux (her assistant) and I are related. We slowly divulge into a conversation as to why she is not based in Kenya... “I had my little store at upper hill a while back when I started and I hardly sold anything. For a long time, No one bought my clothes. So I decided to relocate to a place where my work is more appreciated.” She talks about how tired she is of the fashion industry here at home, and how everyone complains about the prices of her pieces; “… I hear people complaining and comparing my prices with those of stall outfits, not knowing the amount of work I put into a piece. Stall clothes are manufactured in mass and in the Chinese market. I design clothes from scratch from the concept – which is my intellectual property, to the drafting, to the sampling, fabric choice, choice of labour; I put all this into a piece/garment, so you cannot compare my costs with a stall costs. You either take it or leave it. It’s that simple.”
my friend/sister Bijoux in a Liz Ogumbo piece: less is more


At this point I am instantly connected to what she has to say because it seems we are pretty much on the same page about the issues facing our industry. I must admit as well that many Kenyans sadly are yet to understand the work that is put into designing an original piece. You know they say, ignorant people tend criticize (I’d call it ‘hate on’) what they do not understand, and I see this constantly within the fashion industry. Designers are stranded from making a living because a certain person wants to bargain a 6000/- piece all the way down to 2000/-, not knowing the process that garment has gone through. It’s like bargaining for a BMW 7series from a supposed price of 20million, to 2 million. COME ON! I MEAN, REALLY??? That’s an insult to the BMW brand, and it’s similarly so, to a designer. It’s a below negative loss to the designer. Kenyan’s do not know the value of the word and person called a DESIGNER, as I am forever singing.

House of Imani was started back in 2007 when friends and other people fell in love with remixed pieces of Liz’s wardrobe. “… Anything I bought never quite fit into my specification, so I would buy an outfit and make it comfortable to suit me and my preferences. People started loving my outfits and started asking how much for a pair of (remixed) denims cost, or a top. That’s how I started.”
Her pieces are inspired by her life and her story. At one point she may be inspired by a certain colour, or a certain fabric, e.g. the khanga or kikoyi. “It depends with the place I am at in my life”, she confidently expresses herself. She doesn’t design collections because according to her, there are no seasons in Kenya, let alone Africa. It’s just either hot or cold and because of this, finds it difficult to design for a specific season. Liz is also inspired by huge buttons, earrings… generally large accessories (just like me *smile*).
Liz n me

Liz is also a singer and runs a modeling agency company known as Imani Models. 10-20 years from Liz aspires to be representing Africa, as household name in the fashion capitals of the world. YOU GO LIZ!! ROCK THAT NYASH!
FROM TOP: models wearing some of Liz's pieces; Blue bubble dress piece; Liz with a friend

DISCLAIMER: pics not owned by me, except for the 'Liz n me' and 'my friend/sister Bijoux...'

No comments:

Post a Comment